In addition to pharmacists and pharmacy technicians currently supporting care homes, local pharmacy teams in other areas may be required to mobilise to support care homes in their area in response to COVID-19 pressures.
The following resources support those who may not be familiar with the care home setting:
PCPA, PAG, PCCP and SPS consensus document:Primary Care Pharmacy during the COVID pandemic
- This document details potential roles and responsibilities for pharmacy professionals during the COVID pandemic.
- The roles are divided into lists aimed at those in GP, PCN, care home, CCG and community health services roles, there are overlaps in the tasks as practitioners commonly work in two or more of these roles
- Specific advice for care home pharmacy teams is available on p7
- A short webinar by Dr Graham Stretch to demonstrate how to perform a remote consultation and how to use SystmOne and EMIS during this process
- This webinar includes presentations on remote consultations by pharmacists working in different care settings – remote consultations in a GP practice and telephone consultations
- This webinar provided an outline of the aims of the Delivery Model for supporting care homes during the COVID-19 pandemic, a short demonstration of remote consultation software, and an introduction of a helpful aide memoir on what needs to be considered when planning a remote consultation
- In addition there is a link to Dr Graham Stretch’s Remote Consultation Demonstration YouTube recording
Dept of Health and Social Care (DHSC): Guidance: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Care home support package
Last updated 9th July 2020
This document summarises the steps that the DHSC recommends must be taken to keep people in care homes safe. It links to key national resources and also signposts to local resources that should be accessed to ensure residents and staff working in care homes are supported properly. Areas covered include –
- Infection prevention and control
- Stepping up NHS clinical support
- Comprehensive testing
- Oversight and compliance
Administration update (24th July 2020)
To return back to the Care Homes Hub home page, click here
If we’ve missed any advice or guidance which you think would be helpful to care home pharmacy teams, please get in touch.