Our guidance covers receipt, storage and preparation of casirivimab and imdevimab using “pandemic packs”. Use of “pandemic packs” will be revised when alternative starting materials are available. We do not cover commissioning and eligibility; further advice is available in the CAS alert.
Chief Pharmacist responsibilities
Chief Pharmacist responsibilities for nMABs overall are covered in COVID-19 neutralising monoclonal antibodies and SPS support.
With specific reference to casirivimab and imdevimab they have responsibilities in the following domains.
Selection of the optimal preparation location, with aseptic preparation always being preferred for the following reasons:
- the preparation of this infusion is complex and has been assessed to be a NPSA High risk preparation
- withdrawals are required from 2 to 8 vials of two different starting materials, depending on the vial size, to prepare one infusion
- presenting a significant risk of microbial contamination and error
Setting up systems for:
- receipt of the starting materials and amending the incorrect expiry date
- timely preparation and issue of infusions
Oversight of, and support to, preparation in clinical areas, where clinical area preparation is unavoidable.
Ongoing review and responding to incidents and other problems.
Institutional Readiness Document
Further advice on getting ready is included in our document below.
- Removed reference to protecting the prepared infusion from light, as this is not required.
- Institutional readiness doc updated to include reference to use of separate kit for consumables due to incompatibility of some consumables with refrigerated storage. Additional information included on batch number format.