The attachment below outlines the medicines management responsibilities of Chief Pharmacists for Mass Vaccination in Hub and Non-Hub Trust sites, and provides supporting guidance and resources in relation to:
- Safe storage and distribution, including temperature controlled storage, stock control and reporting vaccine usage to UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA)
- Oversight of vaccine handling and preparation
The document aims to promote consistency of practice by providing flow diagrams outlining a stepwise approach to implementing Pharmacy processes to receive, store and issue vaccines, and to oversee vaccine handling processes by clinical staff.
Other handling content for Trusts
Other COVID-19 vaccines resources
- Removal of reference to Regulation 174 product and updated throughout to reflect change in name for the licensed product (Vaxzevria).
- Reference to Public Health England or PHE in the purpose section on the page removed.
- Reference to Public Health England or PHE amended to UK Health Security Agency or UKHSA, and removed reference to patient factsheets initially only being available electronically.
- Section on mutual aid and transfer of COVID-19 vaccine between hospital hubs, vaccination centres and local vaccination services added.
- Link to NHSE position statement about microbial risk associated with movement of punctured vials added.
- Broken hyperlinks updated.
- Addition of new link to IT Policy document on SPS website.
- Wording amended to clarify that outer packaging must be disposed of as confidential waste.
- Amended link for to best practice for storing COVID-19 vaccines in the refrigerator
- Minor amendment to wording linking to V1 IT Policy and removal of 'agent to be confirmed' for antiviral disinfectant.
- Quantity of vials in each carton corrected. Page numbers amended.
- Included hyperlink to ‘Deployment of COVID-19 Vaccine Oxford/AstraZeneca: implications for governance, handling and preparation of vaccines’ letter