The NHS national patent group was established to monitor patent expiries, gather intelligence on potential generic/ biosimilar launches and plan for their introduction into the NHS in a timely and safe manner. The group is comprised of senior members of the Specialist Pharmacy Service (Medicines Information and procurement) and NHS England Commercial Medicines Unit and Specialised Commissioning.
The main roles of the group are:
- To monitor the patents on medicines and maintain a record of patent expiries and market exclusivity for all medicines licensed in the UK, using a patent monitoring tool that has been developed by the group.
- To consider relevant patent expiries and subsequent generic or biosimilar saving opportunities.
- To consider any safety or operational issues that may arise from the introduction of generic or biosimilar products.
- To consider the budgetary implications for the NHS of high-impact patent expiries.
- To support the CMU with the development and delivery of a work-plan for these medicines (transition tenders).
- To support SPS in maintaining accurate information on patent expiries on the SPS website.
- To support and deliver a communication strategy around medicine patent expiries for all NHS stakeholders.
The current membership is:
Specialist Pharmacy Services
Glenn Harley, Regional Medicines Procurement Specialist, N West (chair)
Vanessa Chapman, Director East Midlands Medicines Information Service
Helen Davis, Director North West Medicines Information Service
Joanne McEntee, Horizon scanning lead pharmacist, North West Medicines Information Service
James Kent Regional Medicines Procurement Specialist, East of England
Danny Palmer Regional Medicines Procurement Specialist, S West
Commercial Medicines Unit, NHS England and NHS Improvement
Jane Kelly, Principal Pharmacist
Miranda Matthews, Commercial Development Pharmacist
Alison Greenwood, Senior Operations Manager and Commercial Lead
Jeff Gibson, Senior Operations Advisor and Commercial Practitioner
Zahir Rashid, Medicines Assurance pharmacist
The group will produce outputs, timed to coincide with national transition tenders. These can be found here. Note that you will need to be registered with the SPS website and logged in to view the document.
The group have published a memorandum of understanding between the NHS and pharmaceutical companies relating to patent information and availability of generic medicines.