Guidance on handling and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
Our guidance and standard operating procedures specific to handling and preparation cover many points and can be found below.
In addition to our SOPs, further points of clarification related to preparation and administration are as follows.
Observation following administration
Monitoring for adverse effects
The MHRA Information for Healthcare Professionals states that events of anaphylaxis have been reported. Appropriate medical treatment and supervision to manage immediate allergic reactions must always be readily available in case of an acute anaphylactic reaction following administration of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine.
Immediately post vaccination
No observation period is necessary in individuals aged 12 years and over who have no history of a severe allergic reaction. A temporary suspension of the 15-minute observation period for children aged 5-11 years remains in place.
UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA – formerly known as PHE) Immunisation Against Infectious Disease (the Green Book) recommends a 15-minute observation period post-vaccination for those individuals who had non-allergic reactions such as vasovagal episodes, non-urticarial skin reaction or non-specific symptoms following previous vaccine doses.
Advising individuals with allergies on their suitability for COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna provides guidance on the monitoring requirements for those with a history of allergic reactions.
UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA – formerly known as PHE) Immunisation Against Infectious Disease (the Green Book) states that as fainting can occur following vaccination, all those vaccinated with any of the COVID-19 vaccines should not drive for 15 minutes after vaccination.
Administering to patients with a previous allergy status
- Information on observation recommendations updated in-line with current recommendations. Reference to Omicron variant removed.
- All information resources checked and information up to date.
- Information on observation recommendations for individuals that experienced non-allergic reactions to a previous dose added. Advice for individuals driving after vaccination added.
- Updated to reflect suspension of the 15 minute observation period following administration to those without a history of allergy.
- Statement from British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology (BSACI) removed as link available to 'administering to patients with a previous allergy status' page with associated tool.