Standard Operating Procedures
Our standard operating procedures specific to preparation cover many points and can be found below.
In addition to our SOPs, further points of clarification related to preparation and administration are as follows.
Diluent supplied with vaccine
PHE Operating Model for storage and UK distribution of vaccine advises that the correct number of packs of diluent will be delivered with each pack of vaccine. Note that the MHRA Information for Healthcare Professionals highlights that the diluent is not provided in the vaccine carton.
Incorrect diluent used – action to take
MHRA Information for Healthcare Professionals advises that sodium chloride 0.9% solution for injection (preservative-free) is the only diluent that can be used to dilute the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. If you have used another diluent, the vial should be discarded. PHE guidance for healthcare practitioners provides information on when and how to report errors relating to preparation or administration.
Observation following administration
Immediately post vaccination
Public Health England’s Immunisation Against Infections Disease (the Green book) states that recipients of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine should be kept for observation and monitored for a minimum of 15 minutes in all delivery settings.
Monitoring for adverse effects
Supervision should always be readily available in case of an anaphylactic event following the administration of any vaccine.
Public Health England’s Immunisation Against Infections Disease (the Green book) states that the British Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology (BSACI) advises that individuals with a local urticarial (itchy) skin reaction (without systemic symptoms) to the first dose of any COVID-19 vaccine should receive the second dose of vaccine with prolonged observation (30 minutes) in a setting with full resuscitation facilities (e.g. a hospital).
Administering to patients with a previous allergy status
- Information related to withdrawing a sixth dose removed as this is now standard practice
- Section on administering to patients with a previous allergy status added with link
- Information related to batch numbers removed. Information now on the generic all vaccine administration and preparation page
- Page summary and purpose changed to reflect additions
- Observation following administration added
- Detail added on checking batch numbers
- Information on diluents added
- Page title changed from "Administering the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine"