Attached to this page are:
- A standard operating procedure describing preparation of the vaccine
- A preparation work instruction sheet for the vaccine
- A supervision checklist for preparation of the vaccine
Changes to needles in 2022
The needles that are supplied for reconstitution and preparation of syringes will change in early 2022.
Old needle sizes
The old needle sizes, which are included in our SOPs, use a 21 gauge needle for reconstitution and 23 gauge needles for preparation of syringes for administration.
New needle sizes
In early 2022, UKHSA will be providing 23 gauge needles for reconstitution and 25 gauge needles for preparation of syringes.
Timelines and action
The change will be gradual: some vaccination centres will receive the new syringes and needles before our SOPs are updated; others will continue to stock the previous syringes and needles after the SOPs have been updated.
Vaccination centres do not need to take any specific action. They should continue to use the needles and syringes provided by UKHSA, using original stock first.
The attachment is presented in Word to enable adaptation locally, or as reference source to check that existing local procedures are robust and comprehensive.
Within the SOP:
- GREEN TEXT indicates that detail is awaited, and will be added when available;
- RED TEXT indicates where detail is to be added locally.