This page summarises and signposts to medicine related guidance we’re aware of from professional and government bodies relating to coronavirus and nutritional and inherited metabolic disorders
Our advice is constantly reviewed as the pandemic situation evolves.
Whilst we have tried to ensure that the information on this page is complete, please report a concern if you feel anything is omitted or inaccurate.
To see our professional guidance summaries for other clinical areas, click here
Advice in this area includes:
NICE: COVID-19 rapid evidence summary: vitamin D for COVID-19
Last updated 28 September 2020
- Following review of the evidence from 5 studies published in peer reviewed journals, NICE concluded there is no evidence to support taking vitamin D supplements to specifically prevent or treat COVID-19.
- However, they advise all people should follow UK Government advice and consider taking a daily supplement of 10 micrograms vitamin D all year round during the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly those with dark skin from ethnic minority groups or people getting less exposure to the sun due to shielding or self-isolating.
- People diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency may also be prescribed higher therapeutic doses.
- NICE has also produced a medicines evidence commentary on vitamin D supplementation for preventing intensive care admission in people with COVID-19 associated pneumonia. This new study doesn’t change the advice given in this evidence summary.
British Association for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition: COVID-19 Resources
Last updated 22 July 2020
- Includes practical advice and guidance for management of nutritional support during COVID-19; a statement on Coronavirus and home parenteral nutrition (HPN) and a statement on shielding for patients on HPN; a statement on home enteral nutrition and COVID-19; a statement on COVID-19 and enteral tube feeding safety; an AIDE-memoire for NG tube placement before FIRST use in critical care settings during COVID-19; a statement on PEG insertion during COVID-19; recommendations on route of nutrition support in patients requiring non-invasive ventilation or continuous positive airways pressure during COVID-19; practical guidance for using ‘MUST’ to identify malnutrition during COVID-19; pyrexia protocols for HPN patients (COVID testing available and COVID testing unavailable); a remote rapid discharge protocol, flowchart and discharge checklist to allow remote discharge of PN-dependent patients from their referring hospital; position of BAPEN on NG/NJ tube insertion as an aerosol generating procedure.
British Dietetic Association: COVID-19/Coronavirus – Advice for the General Public
Last updated 11 August 2020
- A selection on FAQs on supplements, general advice on nutrition, treatment and support for people with or at risk of malnutrition and links to advice or further information on nutrition for people with specific health conditions (e.g. diabetes, coeliac disease, respiratory disorders, IBS, Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis) or who have food allergies.
British Inherited Metabolic Diseases Group: Emergency Guides
- Links to guidelines for emergency management of adults or children providing details of emergency regimen drinks and making IV fluids for metabolic patients
British Inherited Metabolic Diseases Group: Considerations in the assessment of IMD Critically Unwell Covid-19 patients
Last updated April 2020
- This guidance from the Adult Dietitians BIMDG Subgroup includes advice on medications including propofol, prokinetics and IV ammonia scavenging medicines
Royal Osteoporosis Society: Vitamin D for bones
- Guidance for patients on vitamin D, including advice on taking supplements during the coronavirus pandemic
Administration update (29th September 2020): resources updated on the page as indicated by red text