This page summarises and signposts to medicine related guidance we’re aware of from professional and government bodies relating to coronavirus and wounds and injuries.
This page has been put together rapidly in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Whilst we have tried to ensure that the information on this page is complete, please report a concern if you feel anything is omitted or inaccurate.
To see our professional guidance summaries for other clinical areas, click here
Advice in this area includes:
NHS England/NHS Improvement: Management of acute burns patients
- A clinical guide for the management of acute burns patients during the coronavirus pandemic.
Last updated 17 March 2020
Academic Health Sciences Network (AHSN): National Wound Care Strategy Programme (NWCSP)
The National Wound Care Strategy Programme (NWCSP) has been commissioned by NHS England and Improvement to improve the prevention and care of pressure ulcers, leg and foot ulcers and surgical wounds.
This website has a specific section on management of wounds during COVID-19 with resources for both healthcare professionals and patients. The NWCSP has identified a range of wound care resources to assist healthcare professionals including sections on:
- COVID-19 Advice from NHSE
- Wound care priorities during the COVID-19 pandemic (Published 7 April 2020)
- Resources for your patients
- Leg and foot ulcers
- Pressure ulcers
- PPE information from the Tissue Viability Society
- Wound Healing Education from the Tissue Viability Society
The Tissue Viability Society (TVS): Coronavirus (COVID-19) and wound care
TVS has collated a set of resources for those less familiar with wound care, including links to the knowledge of wound healing, which may be useful to clinicians who are redeployed or undertaking a role that is new to them that features wound care or prevention.
The TVS signposts to the National Wound Care Strategy Programme, highlighting four resources:
- Self-care for wounds – patient diary
- Looking after a skin tear
- Looking after your wound
- Compression therapy for leg ulcers