Welcome to the Care Home Resource Hub. It was developed to support pharmacy teams working into care homes in response to increased pressure from the COVID-19 pandemic.
The pharmacy teams supporting care home staff and residents will need information and support to ensure the safe and effective use of medicines.
NHS England and NHS Improvement issued the guidance COVID-19 response: Primary care and community health support care home residents on 1st May 2020
In response to this, SPS published Pharmacy and Medicines Support to Care Homes: Urgent System-Wide Delivery Model on 19th May 2020 (see PDF here), a new operational model to help pharmacy and medicines teams implement the NHS England and NHS Improvement guidance. It details four ways in which pharmacy teams will be expected to offer support –
- facilitating medication supply to care homes, including end of life medication
- delivering structured medication reviews via – video or telephone consultation where appropriate – to care home residents
- supporting reviews of new residents or those recently discharged from hospital
- supporting care homes with medication queries, and facilitating their medicines needs with the wider healthcare system (e.g. through medicines ordering)
The aim of the operational model is to help local systems reduce the risk of harm during the COVID-19 period by ensuring that consistent medicines and pharmacy services meet the needs of care home residents and staff. It includes an implementation plan to activate the model of service at local level. The work is being led and coordinated in each area by a clinical lead appointed by each CCG.
We have collated a range of resources and advice under the following headings, linked to the care homes theme and designed to support you in providing safe, effective support to care home residents and staff. Individual pages on the following areas are as below:
To see all of the material in our hub click here
Other useful resource hubs include:
- The Royal Pharmaceutical Society: COVID-19 latest advice and information
- Care Quality Commission: Information for adult social care providers during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
- The Primary Care Pharmacy Association: COVID-19 Resource hub (available to PCPA members and non-members)
- PrescQIPP: Care homes page and Care homes support page
- Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee: COVID-19 hub
- The Royal College of General Practitioners: COVID-19 Resource hub
FutureNHS Collaboration Discussion Forum
- The MOCH professional network hosts a discussion forum where pharmacy teams can post questions and read other’s discussions relating to care home issues. Login required but free to sign up.
If we’ve missed any advice or guidance which you think would be helpful to care home pharmacy teams, please get in touch.