Details of the Webinar held on Wednesday 13th September at 1pm are given below. Although the webinar is aimed at pharmacy teams working in secure environments it will also be helpful to Pharmacy Teams from other sectors where prisoners are admitted for treatment. You will get an insight into the work of pharmacy teams in secure environments for those you may be interested in either a career move vironment setting or are just curious
Medicines Reconciliation in Health and Justice – an opportunity to see how medicines reconciliation can be delivered in secure environments and overcoming barriers of implementing it .
- Do you already deliver a formal medicines reconciliation in your secure environment?
- If not, are plans in place to implement this by March 2018?
- How will you provide the pharmacy leadership and involvement?
- Did you know there is a fantastic SPS resource here to help you plan, train for and deliver medicines reconciliation?
- And if you want more information on implementing and/or sustaining a Green Bag scheme look here.
The NICE Physical Health in Prisons Guidance and RPS Standards for Medicines Optimisation in Secure Environments include a formal medicines reconciliation within the first 72 hours of admission to a H&J setting. Find out what this means for your organisations and professional role and practice. The webinar will include information from:
- Denise Farmer Pharmaceutical Adviser Health and Justice NHS England will provide a brief reminder of H&J expectations and performance monitoring;
- Ajibola Gbadebo Area Pharmacist, Offender Health (Lincs) on the issues she has come across in implementing medicines reconciliation
- Thomas Cox Lead Prison Pharmacist HMP Berwyn (Wales) on how medicines reconciliation has been embedded at the prison, including the use of Green Bags
- Andrew Taylor CPPE Pharmacist for Learning Development on the modules available to support training for people planning and delivering medicines reconciliation
The presentations from the webinar and an example medicines reconciliation SOP from HMP Berwyn can be found below.
A link to the webinar recording can be found here (you need to logged into the SPS website to access it). The introduction by Denise Farmer was not captured on the recording – but Denise described the background to medicines reconciliation in the H and J system, including the role of providers and in particular pharmacy teams with monitoring by HJIP. She also highlighted supporting documents and resources.
Associate Director, Specialist Pharmacy Services