- Dry mouth is a complaint often presented to dental practitioners.
- There are a number of products available to manage this condition, however not all are suitable for every individual.
- Dentate patients in particular should avoid preparations with an acidic pH, due to increased risk of dental decay.
- A fluoride-containing preparation is preferable for dentate patients.
- Dental practitioners should be aware that not all preparations may be prescribed on a dental NHS prescription. However, all available products can be purchased from a pharmacy without a prescription.
- Table 1 lists artificial saliva products, key information about their formulation and whether or not they can be prescribed on a dental NHS prescription.
Senior Medicines Information Pharmacist, North West Medicines Information Centre